AIMA Canada – General Manager (Toronto)
Published: 19 January 2018
Salary dependent on experience
The Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA), the trade association representing the global alternative investment management industry, seeks a General Manager for our Toronto office to lead our activities in Canada and deliver value to our Canadian members. This position reports into AIMA’s Head of Americas, based in New York, and is also accountable to the local Executive Board of Canadian members.
The success of our global representation rests on our National Group structure which provides direct support to members in specific countries. AIMA Canada was formed as a National Group in 2003 and is part of a global network that now comprises of 1900 members around the world and enjoys the support of core teams of AIMA professionals in our three major hubs of London, New York and Hong Kong.
With a vibrant membership across the whole of Canada this position will suit a person with existing knowledge of the alternatives industry in Canada and its participants. It requires a self-starter who thrives on direct engagement with our members in order to better understand their needs and deliver a programme of support that is tailored from the core pillars of AIMA’s global offering: Advocacy, Communication and Education.
The role includes:
- Holding regular meetings with members to determine their priorities and communicating those priorities to the AIMA Canada Executive Board as well as global colleagues so that these views are reflected in AIMA’s local and global work;
- Promoting and communicating AIMA Global positions and working with colleagues and members around the world to provide the Canadian perspective;
- Coordinate and participate on various member volunteer committees focused on specific areas (e.g. Legal & Finance, Education & Research, Sales Practices and Operations & Compliance);
- Organizing and garnering sponsorship for content-driven events that facilitate thought leadership, education and networking;
- Supporting further growth of the Canadian alternatives industry through advocacy & engagement with policy makers, dealer firms, regulators and the media (Online, print, TV, Social);
- Create and/or update thought leadership resource material, best practice guides & presentations;
- Engaging both institutional and key retail investor channels in Canada to promote the asset class;
- Maintain strong relationships with diverse member constituents while addressing their various needs as it relates to AIMA Canada initiatives;
- Communicating the value add and relevance of AIMA’s work globally to the Canadian membership;
- Driving new membership growth;
- Retention of existing members;
- Managing the budget and expenses of AIMA Canada;
- Supervising a full-time assistant general manager and co-op student; and
- Maintaining consistency with the AIMA global offering.
Required skills and experience for this position include:
- Prior experience at an asset management firm or relevant service provider in Canada;
- Proven ability to operate with a high level of autonomy and initiative;
- Strong interpersonal skills and desire to learn from members what really matters to them;
- Strong organizational and project management skills and ability to manage several projects, events and deadlines concurrently;
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with new and prospective members with diverse needs;
- The ability to communicate confidently and persuasively, including strong presentation skills;
- Ability to travel within Canada and abroad as needed;
- The ability to adapt to and fit in with AIMA culture;
- A ‘can do’ attitude - including a willingness to tackle a broad range of tasks and to work enthusiastically and happily within a small team in a small office; and
- The ability to represent AIMA professionally and positively, both internally and externally.
A bachelor’s degree and eligibility to work in Canada are required.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter together with salary expectations to Michael Burns (Chair of AIMA Canada) at Michael.Burns@McMillan.ca and Michelle Noyes at email@example.com
AIMA is a trade association representing the global alternative investment management industry. Headquartered in London, AIMA services approximately 1,900 corporate members in over 60 countries. AIMA is the leading industry advocate, maintaining close dialogue with national and supranational policy making institutions, governments and regulatory agencies, providing responses to important regulatory and tax consultations and developing sound practices and industry guidance for our members.
AIMA has also established the Alternative Credit Council (ACC), which is an association within AIMA devoted to representing the private credit industry, with a view to securing sustainable development of the sector. It is the sole global trade association representing the interests of the private credit and non-bank finance participants in asset management.