AIMA Australia rolls out several new initiatives in 2019
Published: 27 February 2019
Dear Industry participant,
2019 is set to be a record year for more ground-breaking events and initiatives led by the Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA) in its commitment to deepen the market’s understanding of Australia’s alternative investment sector and foster best-practice participation within it. We continue to draw on AIMA’s deep well of global industry intelligence and connectivity to consult with regulators, policy makers and other industry groups to ensure our industry remains dynamic. We are delighted to share a brief overview and update of these initiatives planned for Australia this year and certainly welcome your interest in becoming part of the AIMA community.
- 2000+ members based in 60+ countries, representing more than USD$2 Trillion in AUM
- Year on year record growth in Australia & APAC membership
- 30 Executive, Regulatory, Education and Investor Committee meetings
- 32 events for industry were conducted across Australia in 2018
- Attended by 1600+ industry representatives
- 450+ attendees at the AIMA Australia Annual Forum
AIMA initiatives 2019
- Acorns of Australia, 23 May 2019: This is an exciting new event to the AIMA Australia calendar, open to members and non-members and designed to support Australia’s up and coming industry practitioners who are at various stages of their development and operations. This half day event will be held at Perpetual Sydney. Topics include:
- The start-up legal tool box,
- Making your service provider work for you,
- Fund raising: The art of marketing and communication,
- Odds & Sods: The essential office set-up check list,
- Manager fireside chat: Bringing the business to life.
We expect this event will become as iconic and valuable as the AIMA Australia Annual Forum, also open to non-member managers.
- AIMA Australia Annual Forum 2019: Save Wednesday 11 September 2019 in your diary for the AIMA Australia Annual Forum at the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney. The Forum is the premier event for the industry and the highlight of Hedge Fund “Super Week”, which also features the famous Hedge Funds Rock event held the following evening. The event duo is not to be missed by anyone serious about growing Australia into a stronger alternative investing centre and celebrating the people who are driving it.
- Superannuation Trustees Education Forums: This is an important interface between the industry and superannuation investors to raise awareness of the role and value that our industry can offer their members. AIMA will continue to foster this association to support the nation’s large asset allocators that face increasing regulatory and market pressures. Stay tuned on upcoming events dedicated to educating and empowering trustees to confidently consider the fullest investment spectrum for investors.
- Alternative Credit Council (ACC): The ACC is an affiliate body that sits within AIMA’s structure, specifically representing alterative credit and non-bank finance interests. ACC membership is included as a benefit of AIMA membership. We look forward to establishing an Australian committee of the ACC in 2019 and encourage interested parties to participate.
- Australian based research: In 2018 the “virtual roundtable” paper Vision 2025 released by AIMA’s Australian Investor Advisory Group was very well received, here and abroad. Work is already well underway for the next whitepaper, which will focus on what institutional investors look for when conducting their due diligence on managers. The paper will be publicly released in Q2.
- Women university students mentoring programme: Sponsored by HSBC, this programme will enter its 4th year in 2019 with continued support from AIMA. We are always looking for new mentors from industry.
- Australian Students Asset Management (ASAM): ASAM is a university student run hedge fund launched at the 2018 Annual Forum and wholly supported by AIMA. ASAM will become a must for students thinking of making a career in funds management, serving as a great vehicle for the industry to identify, recruit and nurture career ready talent from universities. Please contact me if you wish to get involved as a sponsor or mentor.
- Industry Valuation research project: As part of AIMA’s advocacy work, we are embarking on an ambitious project to value the size and scope of our industry, analyse its composition and attain a better understanding of our ecosystem. We will start this project shortly and require industry participation and support to make it successful, so please give this project due consideration when you are contacted.
We look forward to your interest and participation in these initiatives and sincerely encourage you contact me if you have any questions or would like to know more about the fuller benefits of joining AIMA as a member. You can reach me at (email@example.com).
Director, General Manager, AIMA Australia